The following has been abstracted from an article that appeared in the Sunday, 31 March 1926 issue of the Henderson Gleaner and Journal.
One of the oldest settlements in Henderson County is Hebbardsville, which was founded soon after 1800. The little village is located on the Hebbardsville and Owensboro road, about 13 miles from Henderson. The name of Hebbardsville was given this village in 1808, having been named from Charles Hebbard, who during the early years owned and operated a blacksmith shop at that location.
The first saw and grist mill built in the county was started near Hebbardsville in 1808 and was operated by George McCormick. This mill was located on Lick creek, then known as Hebbardsville creek.
In 1841 Jacob Shelter erected a grist mill where the present Christian church stands. The mill stones are still in the church yard. Elbridge Pruitt operated a grist mill where the Baptist church now stands, in 1902.
Cravens Boswell was one of the earliest settlers in this section, and he owned nearly all of the land lying around Hebbardsville at one time. A great portion of this land he donated to others in order to induce them to settle and build up the community.
In 1843, a stage line was being operated from Henderson to Owensboro. This stage was drawn by four large horses. The trip was so long and the roads in such bad condition that it was necessary for the driver to change horses about every six miles. The changing place at Hebbardsville was at John Priest’s. When the driver would get a certain distance of the Priest home, he would sound his bugle and when he drove up in front of the home the slaves would have the fresh horses waiting for him. The first driver that any of the present residents can recall was a man by the name of Riddle.
During the early years the people at this place used to receive their mail from a man who carried it from Henderson to the Calhoun ferry. A man on horseback would meet the Henderson man at the river and transport the mail to Owensboro. These mail carriers would make two trips each week. At the present time Hebbardsville residents are given daily services. Miss Sadie Erwin is the postmistress.
Hebbardsville has a number of merchants. Among those who have been in business are C.W. Johnson, R.S. Hart, Boswell Bros., George Willingham, George Reed, Saunders Biggs, Joe Robertson, Oliver and Jack Molane, Hugh Jennings, T.P. Johnson, Charles Johnson, Harry Jones, John Leisure, James Haynes, Willie Barnes and G.W. Hust.
The first physicians to practice medicine at Hebbardsville were Drs. Stephens and Robert McFarland.
Among the early settlers in and around Hebbardsville were Benjamin Hicks, Daniel Hazelwood, Turner Denton, Samuel Pirtle, Caleb Hall, Edward Bennett, John Davis, Rev. Abram Hatchett, William Boswell, Arthur Hicks, Richard Roach, Wash Butler, James Willingham, John Priest, William Walden, Byrd Chambers, George Briscoe, Stark Haynes and others. Among the oldest residents now living are Robert Schaeffer, Robert Hagan, William Barnes, Mrs. Mary Hust and Mr. and Mrs. William Jones.