Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Emancipation of Edmond

 

Slaves in Kentucky were emancipated by their owner petitioning the county court or being set free through a provision in the owner’s last will and testament. The following Deed of Emancipation is found in Livingston County, Kentucky Court Order Book (county court minutes) L, pages 9 - 10, 3 March 1851.[1]

“George D. Williamson, administrator of Martha McCawley dec’d produced a Deed of Emancipation for slave Edmond … I Martha McCawley widow of James McCawley dec’d of Smithland, Ky in a few days purpose taking a trip to Louisville and Jefferson County to see my friend And whereas I am seized and possessed of my own property a certain mulatto Boy named Edmond aged about 22 or 23 years of age, raised by myself who I wish to serve no one after I shall die shall do as promised that is to pay me four hundred Dollars for himself. Edmond paid to me $100 this day and as soon as he pays the remaining $300, then I have obligated my heirs to manument Edmond immediately after my death. It is understood Edmond is to serve Martha as long as she lives …Tho he may have paid me the Three hundred Dollars while I live, as he promises to pay me along as it may be convenient to him … he will always be given a receipt … If I should die before he pays all, he must pay the balance to my heirs, Executors Administrators and there be manumitted. But it is understood that Edmond is to serve me as a slave faithfully during my life as tho this paper did not exist as what I now do is merely to secure him his freedom after my death.   20 July 1849  [signed] Martha McCawley. Wit: W. Beverly, Mina McCawley.”

And thereupon Geo. D. Williamson proved sd. writing by the oaths of W. Beverly and Mina Williamson, late McCawley, subscribing witnesses to be act & deed of Martha McCawley, desired that a Certificate of freedom be given to Edmond. Whereupon the boy Edmond came into court and appears to be about 25 years old with a scar on his left arm on the inside of his elbow and a small scar between his eyes just above the nose and is 5 feet high.”

 


[1] The two entries just prior to the Deed of Emancipation of Edmond, both on page 9, are the appointments of administrators of the estates of Martha and James McCawley. The entry following the Deed of Emancipation on page 10 is the appointment of appraisers of the estate of Martha McCawley.


Published 19 July 2023, Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog, http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com/

No comments: