Monday, October 13, 2008

Caldwell County, Kentucky Petiton 1811



The above undated note was found in a box of loose papers marked Miscellaneous Documents - Notes. This is likely the petition presented by Robert Rankin at the 4 March 1811 session of county court with a request that he be exempt from the payment of county levy. Mention of this petition can be found in County Court Order Book A, page 145. The note reads as follows:
“to the honorable the Court of Caldwell greton your humbler pettioner prayeth for Releaf from a poll tax as I am now in my Sixty and Sevent year of my Eage and verry onfite for leabor and I have gone throu the Revolusionary Warr and lost all my property in the Same and was Left the Scond Shirt to my back when I got hom to my famelay therefor your humble puttionar hopeth that your honors Will grant this my puttion and yor puttionar Shall ever pray” [signed] Robert Rankin.

No comments: