Saturday, April 3, 2010

Ancestor Approved Award


I am honored to be the recipient of the "Ancestor Approved Award" from Lori Shoemaker Hellmund of Genealogy and Me. I am supposed to list 10 things that I have learned about any of my ancestors that have surprised, humbled or enlightened me and to pass this award along to 10 other genealogy bloggers. As I blog about lots of ancestors - not just my own - I am including others' ancestors mentioned in this blog.

Surprised by

  • The siblings of my great-grandmother, Mary Ann Wolstenholme, who did not drown in the Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900 and, in fact, lived to old age in West Tennessee.



  • The magnificent tombstones from the first half of the 19th century that still survive in the old cemeteries in western Kentucky. These tombstones represent a variety of materials, artwork and engraving styles, often providing clues to information on the deceased.



  • Smithland, Kentucky, which seemed to have had an inordinate number of murders during the 1830s and 1840s and several of them involved physicians.


  • Humbled by

  • The courage and fortitude of every female who became a widow at a young age and supported a houseful of children and instructed them in such a manner that they became solid, productive citizens.



  • The business acumen of women like Florence Littlefield, Sarah Drew and Sarah Jane Barner, who, as single women, became moneylenders, bought and sold land, achieving financial independence during the era when women were heavily dependent upon men.



  • The public service to citizens of Caldwell, Livingston and Henderson counties provided by members of the Dallam family. They truly understood the meaning of being public servants.



  • The many readers who have taken the time to express their appreciation for the content of this blog. It is very humbling and truly heartwarming.


  • Enlightened by

  • The many steamboat captains and clerks who settled in Smithland, Kentucky and later migrated to my area of southern Indiana. Among these river men were Capt. Joshua V. Throop and Capt. Napoleon B. Hayward.



  • The 1840 Livingston County federal census, which identifies 98 persons of color - many more than I would have thought.



  • The extent of interest in genealogy, which has grown rapidly the past few years and in diverse fields - from forensic genealogy to digitizing records to blogging. There is a place for everyone!


  • Copyright on text and photographs
    by Brenda Joyce Jerome, CG
    Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog
    http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com

    2 comments:

    Lori H said...

    Brenda, it's awesome you have family that survived the Galveston hurricane. Were you aware that they had survived before you started your research.
    I enjoyed reading this post.

    Brenda Joyce Jerome said...

    Actually, I don't know that they were even in Galveston at the time of the hurricane. My dad always said he grandmother, Mary Ann, said her brother and sister went to Galveston and drowned during the hurricane, but then I found them living in West Tennessee. I blogged about this mystery here:
    http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com/2007/12/what-happened-to-my-family.html

    I'm not sure I'll ever find out what happened.