Sunday, May 27, 2012

There was no Slingslow District

Whoever indexed the 1840 Livingston County, Kentucky census for ancestry.com confused a lot of researchers. According to ancestry.com, there were three districts in 1840 Livingston County - Salem, Smithland and Swingslow - but if you enlarge the name written along the left side of the page for the last district, it is evident that it says Livingston and not Swingslow. I've reported this error to ancestry.com in the past and just reported it again. Let's hope it gets corrected this time.

Bottom line - there was no Swingslow district. The word should be Livingston.

6 comments:

Sue F. said...

Brenda-I was just checking on trying to find Swingslow today after seeing William Adamson listed there in 1840....apparently it hasn't been corrected yet!
Sue Adamson Fritz

Brenda Joyce Jerome said...

Thanks, Sue. I'll notify them again. This will be the 3rd time.

SeeCSM said...

Still says Swingslow. Thanks for posting this--cleared up a LOT of confusion!

Brenda Joyce Jerome said...

Reported it 4 times and nothing happened. Will try again.

Unknown said...

I saw the Swingslow reference yesterday when looking into some of my Sullenger roots. It was new to me, and I figured it was kind of like Centerville, a community at the Caldwell/Crittenden County line, that faded away when the railroad came to Fredonia. I have not seen the scribed documents, only the alternate text. Maybe I need to look closer.

Brenda Joyce Jerome said...

It is obvious that whoever transcribed this census was unfamiliar with Livingston County. I have given up on Ancestry ever correcting it.