Thursday, September 20, 2012

Am I My Own Cousin?

Most of us have convoluted relationships among our families. They cause us to scratch our heads, make charts of the relationships and wonder how this all came about. Here is an example of such a relationship in my own family.




Andy Cooper and his wife, Minnie I. Cooper, are buried in Salem Cemetery, Livingston County, Kentucky. Andy was the son of John W. Cooper and Ellen Joiner, who married in 1865 Pope County, Illinois. He was also the grandson of Joseph Cooper and Nicey Pennington, my 3rd great grandparents on the Cooper side of my lineage. Joseph and Nicey Cooper had other children, including a daughter Sarah Elizabeth, who married Jeremiah "Jerry" Croft 1870 Pope County.

Now, let's jump to the Croft family. Sarah Elizabeth Cooper and Jeremiah "Jerry" Croft were my 2nd great grandparents on the Croft side. Jerry and Sarah are buried at Pleasant Grove Cemetery . Did I mention that Minnie Cooper's maiden name was Croft and she was a daughter of Jeremiah "Jerry" Croft and Sarah E. Cooper? She was.

Keep in mind that while Andy Cooper and Minnie Croft are part of my family, I am not their direct descendant. Are you confused yet? I am!



1 comment:

Janet said...

I've got a few intermarriages in my tree, too, including at least one with Crittenden/Union County roots. My gr-gr grandparents, Josiah CROWELL and Amanda J. CROWELL were cousins.