Tombstone of John Lamb (1829-1894)
In 1891 it was reported in the local newspaper that John Lamb was interested in selling a tract of land west of Marion for a new cemetery. There was some opposition to the location as it was felt it was too close to town. However, in 1893, the tract owned by John Lamb was chosen for the new cemetery, which was named Mapleview. This cemetery is in use today.
One of the earliest burials is that of John Lamb, the former owner of the Mapleview Cemetery property. His obituary in the 13 September 1894 issue of the Crittenden Press chronicled the life of this prominent citizen of Crittenden County.
He passed away 7 September 1894 after several months illness of consumption. Services were conducted by Rev. J.F. Price. John Lamb was born in the Bells Mines neighborhood 18 June 1829. His father was David Lamb, who was born in North Carolina in 1801. In 1807, the family came west, crossing the Ohio at the falls, then a settlement was made in Indiana. In 1820, David Lamb settled in Crittenden County and here reared a family and lived to a ripe old age. The mother of John Lamb was Mary Ann (Price) Lamb, sister of the late John Price, father of Rev. James F. Price. In 1855, John Lamb married Miss Almeda A. Phillips, who survived him. Four children were born to this couple, one of whom died in early childhood. They were Rev. J. Reed Lamb of California, P., A.U. Lamb of Marion and Mrs. Mollie Travis, of Princeton. One of Mr. Lamb's three brothers outlived him - Thomas N. Lamb of Savannah, Tenn. About 30 years ago Mr. Lamb united with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Meadow Creek.
Published 28 October 2014, Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog, http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com/