Monday, June 29, 2015

A Double Seat for the Cavalry

You learn the darnedest things in genealogical research!  I knew that Henry F. Wolstenholme, son of Hugh Wolstenholme Sr. and brother to my ancestor, Hugh Wolstenholme Jr., was a tailor in Asheville, North Carolina during the Civil War, but a recent check on Fold3 revealed he made uniforms for Confederate soldiers of Capt. G.W. Hays' Cherokee Rangers in July 1861. The names of the soldiers are listed as well as the amounts charged for each item:  50 cents for "striping" pants and $2.55 or $3.05 for a shirt and pants. The cavalry soldiers' pants were fashioned with a double seat. I assume this was for the extra wear.

Now, I am off to see what other treasures I can find!

Published 29 June 2015, Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog,  http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com/

No comments: