Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Letters to Santa Claus 1908

Newspapers often published letters written to Santa Claus by boys and girls in the local community. They told what each child would like to receive and how good they had been throughout the year. The following letters appeared in the Twice-A-Week Gleaner of Henderson County, Kentucky on Tuesday, 22 December 1908.


Hebbardsville, Ky., Dec. 18, 1908.
Dear Santa Claus at North Pole:
I will write you a letter to tell you what I want for Xmas. I am a little boy seven years old. I want a suit of clothes, a cap, a rubber ball, a two bladed knife, some candy, raisins and nuts.  I believe that is all I want. So good bye. 
Your little friend, Jimmy Haynes

Dear Santa Claus:
I am a little boy 8 years old, my mother is dead and I live at Dr. H.D. Book's on Frog Island. I go to school. My teacher says I read and write very well for my age. It will soon be Xmas and I would like for you to come to see me. Please bring me some nice things to eat. Then bring me a new saddle and bridle as I have lots of riding to do. I also want a gun, harp, knife, drum and anything you wish to bring me. Please bring Sterling something as he is so nice to me. With best wishes to you and Mrs. Santa Claus for a merry Xmas and a happy New Year. I am, as ever, Your good little boy, Johnnie Thompson.

Dear Santa Claus:
I am a little girl 11 years of age and I go to school every day and learn my lessons well so you will bring me all I want.  I want you to bring me a story book and a little doll trunk, and candy, oranges, bananas and nuts of all kinds. Don't forget mamma, papa and my four sisters. I hope you will get down the chimney safe.  From your little friend, Zella Rideout.

Dear Santa Claus:
I am a little girl 6 years old, have been going to school every day and learned my lessons good so you will bring me everything I want. I want you to bring me some little dishes, a story book, apples, candy and bananas. I will go to bed early and shut my eyes tight and not watch at all. Don't forget my two little sisters, Cordelia and Daisy. I remain, your little friend, Lorene Howard.

Dear Santa Claus:
I am a little boy two years old. I have been just as good as I can be so you will bring me everything I want. I want you to bring me a little wagon, rubber ball, a soldier doll and candy, oranges, bananas, apples and nuts of all kinds. I remain, Your little boy, Marquis Elliott Gibson.

Henderson, Ky., Dec. 13, 1908
Dear Santa Claus:
Please don't forget me. I think I have been a very good little girl. I want a scrap book and a little toy watch, and firecrackers and nuts, candies and other good things, and a pair of overshoes, please. I am the only little girl at my house, but be sure to bring my little brothers a Teddy bear and a toy pistol. Goodbye, dear Santa. From your friend, Dixie Gregory.

Published 22 December 2015, Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog, http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com



No comments: