While not the oldest religious presence in Smithland, Kentucky, the Methodist Episcopal Church has been there at least since the 1840s. In 1848, the trustees of Smithland conveyed part of inlot #113 on Mill Street to H.C. Hodge, H.F. Given, John H. Wood, B.O. Thrift and H.A. Harman, trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, for 99 years in order that they could "build or cause to be erected a house or place of worship for the use of the members of the church."
The church suffered through the years - from a devastating fire in the 1880s and rebuilding to the 1937 flood which saw water almost to the roof of the church. The church was later sold to the Church of Christ, which held services there for a number of years. The church is now empty and is privately owned. It is not open to the public.
The church was photographed 8 November 2017.