Saturday, May 17, 2008

Research From Home

Was your ancestor a party in a lawsuit or divorce and you would like to obtain a copy of the case file? You can do it by mail and it is really quite easy.

Civil and criminal cases, as well as divorce cases, are filed in circuit court in Kentucky. Almost every Kentucky county has transfered their circuit court case files to the Kentucky Dept. for Libraries and Archives in Frankfort, Kentucky. To determine the location of the circuit court records for your county of interest, go to the Kentucky Dept for Library and Archives website at Scroll down to Court/Government Records Research, click on the link to a list of counties and dates of civil and criminal case files available at the archives.

Right below that link are links to request Civil Case Records, Criminal Case Records and Divorce Records. These links will take you to a form which you will fill out and mail to the address listed on the form. You will need the names of the parties involved and an approximate date of the action. If you are a Kentucky resident, you will need to send along a $10 fee. Non-residents of Kentucky should send a check for $15. If you have a question about availability of records in your county, you may call the Archives research room at 502-564-8300 ext. 207 or 210.

With the price of gasoline increasing almost daily, we may all need to find alternative ways to do research.

No comments: