Sunday, May 3, 2009

Smithland, Genealogy of a Kentucky River Town

I have mentioned my on-going project on Smithland, Kentucky several times on this blog. I will be doing a Power Point presentation called "Smithland, Genealogy of a Kentucky River Town" at the Tri-State Genealogical Society meeting on Tuesday, 12 May 2009, at 7:30 pm at Willard Library, 21 First Avenue, Evansville, Indiana. The program will deal with the demographics of Smithland, photographs of historic buildings and some of the early residents I’ve met while doing research on the town.

If you are in the area and inclined to attend, please do so. Visitors are always welcome and be sure to yell at me so I will know who you are. I’ll be the one up front with the terrified look on her face.

1 comment:

ruthward said...

My great great great grandfather was Jesse S Roberts. He was settled in Smithland, KY by 1800. There are many records on his land acquisitions, his children's births and marriages, his purchases of slave Judy and Andrew etc. He lived on Bio (Bayo) Creek. Although he was very active in Smithland, I have never seen a local narrative on him. He was also responsible for dividing the land of the Lewis man after he murdered his slave. I am sure that Jesse Roberts was very active in the community. He was born in SC in 1776 and was trained as a aaddler. He grew up on a plantation but his father left for Canada after the Revolution. It is probable that his brother was Obadiah who was father or Oran Roberts - a governor of Texas. His daughter Jane married a Phillips and stayed in the area. In about 1820 Jesse and his two sons moved to Illinois and he founded the township of Roberts Illinois where he built a cabin in 1828. It is still standing. His son Livingston became very prominent in Illinois. I also read that Jesse built a flatboat and took goods to New Orleans. His wife, Margaret , was six months pregnant with Livingston when the Madrid earthquake struck. One record states that Jesse was paid 18 shillings for to wolf scalps in July 1801. I would like to be in contact with someone from the area to share about Jesse.