The New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States by Thomas Baldwin and J. Thomas, MD, published in 1854, gives a brief view of Caldwell County, Kentucky. Keep in mind that Caldwell County, at the time this was written, included the area that is now Lyon County.
Caldwell, a county in the W. part of Kentucky, contains about 700 square miles. The Tennessee river bounds it on the S.W., the Tradewater creek on the N.E. and it is intersected by the Cumberland river. The surface is mostly level and the soil fertile. The staples are tobacco, corn, and pork.
It contains 80 churches, 2 newspapers, 670 pupils attending public schools, and 180 attending academies or other schools.
A large bed of coal has been found in the N. part, and iron ore is abundant on the banks of the rivers. The county contains a rolling mill and 3 large iron works, employing about 500 men.
Named in honor of John Caldwell, former lieutenant-governor of the state. Organized in 1809. Capital, Princeton. Population, 18,048, of whom 9941 were free and 8107 were slaves.
Eddyville, is a thriving post-village of Caldwell County, Kentucky, on the Cumberland river at the mouth of Eddy creek, about 15 miles W. from Princeton. It has 1 or 2 churches, 10 stores and 4 warehouses. Estimated population, 700.
Princeton, capital of Caldwell county, about 230 miles W.S.W. from Frankfort. It is surrounded by a fertile region, and it has considerable trade. It is the seat of Cumberland College, founded in 1825, and contains 4 churches, an academy, and a bank. Two newspapers are published here. Population in 1853, about 1500.