Thursday, May 29, 2014

Prepared to Travel

I'm planning a trip this summer to research one of my families. In order to get the most out of this short visit, I need to be prepared.

I've reviewed my files to refresh my memory of what I have and what I don't have. My goals are itemized.  Records to check have been listed and I know what courthouse offices should have those records. I have the address of the local library where I hope to check  published and unpublished materials that might be helpful.

Do I know in which cemeteries my ancestors are buried? Where are the cemeteries located? Are the cemeteries easily accessible in the summer or should another visit be planned for winter when the ticks and snakes are sleeping?   Are the cemeteries only open certain hours and is there an office that can help locate their plots?  I might need to make a phone call to learn the answers to these questions.  Find A Grave  might also be helpful.

I guess I am ready - No, wait! I need to find a motel or hotel. A quick check online tells me where they are located and if available for the right times. Reservations made. Now, I'm ready.  This promises to be a great research trip! Going prepared will help me use my time efficiently.

Published 29 May 2014, Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog, http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com/





No comments: