Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Drumming Up Some Business

Many of you have heard of the Rev. James F. Price, the Presbyterian minister who performed marriages in Crittenden County, Kentucky during the mid-1900s.  One of those marriages was that of my parents, John Joyce and Lavern Croft on 25 July 1937. They were married in the Price home with my dad's brother, Hebbert Joyce, and Mother's cousin and soon-to-be sister-in-law, Lena (Bebout) Hughes, as their attendants.

In an effort to drum up more business, the Rev. Price sent out little notes suggesting that people send prospective marrying couples to him. Below is the note he sent my parents just eight days after their marriage. They were living in Hardin County, Illinois. This note was pasted in an old scrapbook page found among my mother's possessions after her death. If living, my mother would be 96 years old today and my father would be 102.






Published 7 July 2015, Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog, http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com/

No comments: