Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Learn By Reading Old Record Books

 I did not order this pandemic and would not recommend it, but one good thing has come out of it.  Thanks to being confined to home most of the time,  there has been time to really dig into records online plus notes about documents I have copied through the years.  Just in the last few months, I have learned about naturalized citizens, who they were and their countries of origin.  My knowledge of types of punishment for crimes has increased, including who were the first and last persons legally executed by the Commonwealth of Kentucky.  I have also been reading about the  ways the county identified and cared for lunatics and idiots – Yes, there is a  Difference!  Documents on most of these subjects are found in the circuit court order books, many of which are online. 

To read the order books at home, open an account on FamilySearch. It is free and you might just find the information you need to break through that brick wall in your research.  In the meantime, I will keep on reading, making my notes and hope I find something of interest for Western Kentucky researchers.  If you have a question  or a suggestion, contact me through this blog. To get a direct response, include  your email. I can delete your email before your question is published.

 

Published 27 October 2020, Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog, http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Brenda Joyce Jerome said...

Thanks to Kay, who said (by private email): "It's good to know that the Pandemic has been and will continue to be for some a source of positivity in an extremely limited but valuable way. Keep up the good work, Brenda"