Thursday, October 15, 2020

Unrecorded Will of Sally Clement 1857

 

    “ In the Name of God Amen

I Sally Clement Being in a low state of health but of Sound and disposing memory I hereby make my last will and Testament first and foremost I Commit my Soul to God that gave it to me and my boddy to the dust from Whence it came to be buried after a Christian manner and after all ntmy lawful debts and funeral Expences are paid  I dispose of what wordly property which God has been  plased to be bestow upon me in manner and form as followeth to wit

 First  I will and bequeath to my beloved Son Francis M. Clement Two Colts one dining Table  one chest  Two sheep and my interest in the present growing crop

 Second  I will and bequeath to my five Daughters and my grand Daughter Susan Jane Cruise   Three hundred dollars wich is in the hands of Francis M. Clement to be equally divided between them that is to say fifty dollars to Moriah Owins  fifty dollars to Elizabeth Coleman  fifty dollars to Paulina Champion  fifty dollars to Nancy Love  fifty dollars to Parthena Bennett and fifty dollars to my grand Daughter Susan Jane Cruice &c.  Given under my hands this the 27th day of August 1857.  

                                                                                [signed]  Sally Clement 

 Test:

Henry R.D. Coleman

Catherion E. Coleman

Kittie D. Hodge”

 Sometimes will went unrecorded. The testator might change his/her mind about the disposition of his property or it could be the will had been placed with the county clerk and it was forgotten until long after the testator had passed away. Even though the will was not recorded, it is still valuable if it contains names.

 This unrecorded last Will and Testament of Sally Clement was found among loose wills in the Crittenden County Clerk’s office many years ago. The 1850 Crittenden County census [1] shows Sarah Clement, age 64, born Virginia, in the household headed by Isham Clement, aged 69 and also born Virginia. Also in the household was Francis M. Clement, age 21, born Kentucky.  Isham Clement wrote his will 19 Sep 1850 and it was proven and recorded 21 Nov 1856. [2]



[1] 1850 Crittenden County, Kentucky census, Dist. 1, Roll 197, p. 229a, Isham Clement household, Ancestry.com

[2] Will of Isham Clement, Will Book 1, p. 61, Crittenden County Clerk’s Office.


Published 15 Oct 2020, Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog, http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com/

No comments: