Saturday, February 16, 2008

Sale of a Slave 1803

Because they were considered personal property, one would think that the sale of a slave would be recorded in the deed books. Not so - at least in most western Kentucky courthouses. Only rarely have I found such a record in the deed books. However, in the loose court papers, these sales are often found. The following sale is found in Livingston County Clerk's Papers, Box 1. Edward Mitchusson lived in the area of Livingston County that became Caldwell County in 1809.

January 5 - 1803
Know all men by these presents that I Edwd. Mitchusson of the state of kentucky and county of Livingston hath Bargained sold and delivered unto John Drury Mitchusson of said state and county a certain mulatto boy child about the age of three years named ben for the sum of one hundred & fifty dollars to me in hand paid which child I do warrant and forever defend from myself my heirs or any other person to said John Drury Mitchusson his heirs or assigns forever. [signed] Edwd. Mitchusson. Test: Jacob Pennington, Moses (X his mark) Stagal.


No comments: