By 1869, the Civil War was over and life was getting back to normal in western Kentucky. Each little town in the county had at least one tavern, where people met and shared news over a glass of liquor. Some of the taverns were in separate buildings, but many were in private homes. In order for the tavern to operate, the tavernkeeper had to appear in county court, request a license and pay the fee, which was usually between $10 and $25. The following entries are abstracted from Livingston County Court Order Book M (1860 - 1869).
J.S. Leffler was granted a license to keep a tavern at the Waverly House in Smithland for one year, having paid the clerk $10, the tax therefore. 4 January 1869
Thomas Nelson was granted a tavern license for his Town House in the town of Birdsville with the privilege of retailing spirituous liquors for 12 months, having paid the clerk the tax of $25. 4 January 1869
Mrs. E.E. Morris was granted a license to keep a tavern for the accommodation of the public at the Planters Hotel in Smithland. 1 March 1869
U.G. Berry was granted a license to keep a tavern at his Tavern House in the Town of Carrsville with the right to sell liquor by the drink, he having paid the clerk of this court $25, the tax therefor. 5 April 1869
D.L. Vick was permitted to keep a Tavern at his Tavern House in Carrsville for 12 months with the privilege of retailing spirituous liquors by the drink, having paid the clerk the $25 tax. 7 June 1869
Phillip Grasham is licensed to keep a tavern at his Tavern House in Salem with the privilege of retailing spirituous liquors by the drink. 7 June 1869
Joseph Bridges is permitted to keep a tavern with the privilege of retailing spirituous liquors at the house now occupied by his family in Carrsville for 12 months. 6 December 1869