Sunday, January 10, 2010
First United Methodist Church
A small group formed a Methodist Society in 1805 and, in 2005, the First United Methodist Church celebrated 200 years of heritage in Henderson, Kentucky. Sometime later, the Methodists, along with other congregations, worshipped in the Union Church in Central Park. Still later they built a church at Washington and Elm Streets.
The church is today located at the corner of Third and Green Streets on land formerly owned by John James Audubon and his wife, Lucy. The current church was erected in 1914, after a former building was destroyed by a tornado. Several additions have been made to the building.