Friday, August 27, 2010

Unrecorded Nunn-Hull Will 1854

It was not unusual for a will to be placed in the hands of the county clerk for safe keeping. Occasionally those wills were not recorded - either because the testator moved from the area before his/her death or perhaps through neglect. Whatever the reason, those unrecorded wills are as valuable as recorded wills in our research. The following unrecorded will was found among loose county court papers in a bundle marked "old Papers" in the Crittenden County clerk's office, Marion, Kentucky.




"In the name of god Amen I Mary Clarisa Hull of the County of Crittenden state of Kentucky being sick and weak in Body but of sound mind and disposing memory For which I thank god, calling to mind the uncertainty of human life and being desirous to dispose of all Such worldly Estate as it has hath pleased god to Bless me with I give and bequeath the same in the maner following viz

I give unto my Dear husband Armstrong Hull all of my Land on which I now live, also my negro girl named Rachel Amico also my gray Horse named Jim also my Bay mare also my Bed and Bedstead and furnishing and all other things that I am in possesion of[.] I also give my Husband A. Hull all of my they moneys yet Dew me as my Interest in my Fathers Estate which is in now in the Possesion of John & T.L. Nunn.

I also will and bequeath unto all of my Brothers & sisters Ten Dollars Each to Be paid thence By my Executor herin after mentioned[.] Lastly I herby appoint and co Constitute my Dear Husband Armstrong Hull my Executor of this my Last will and Testament herby Revoking all others or any that may be presented on in witness wher of I have her heruto herunto Set my hand and affixed my Seal this second day of february in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred and fifty four Signed Sealed published and delivered as and for the last will and Testament of the above named Mary C. Hull in the presence of us Test: Thos. L. Phillips, John W. Phillips. [signed] Mary C. Hull {seal}"

M.C. Nunn is named as a daughter in the will of Ira Nunn [Crittenden County Will Book 1, p. 38]. Among other items, he left her two slaves, Rachel and Robert Lopez, a sorrel horse named Jim and a bed, bedstead and furnishings. Mary C. Nunn married Armstrong Hull 22 March 1853 in Crittenden County. She died in 1854 and is buried in the old Nunn Cemetery, off Hwy. 365 not far from the Crittenden-Union County line.



In memory of
Mary C.
Wife of
Armstrong Hull
Born
Apr. 1, 1832
Died
Feb. 13, 1854

No comments: