Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Promises for 2014

I've tried calling them New Year's Resolutions and I've tried calling them New Year's Goals. Neither term was a guarantee for success. So, this time I will call them New Year's Promises. Surely this will work! So, here goes.

1.  I Promise to cite sources for all facts not of common knowledge. Yea! That feels right. I can do this!

2.  I Promise to not laugh out loud when someone tells me they have researched their family back to Adam and Eve.  I may snicker and I may snort, but I won't laugh out loud!

3.  I Promise to search out new sources for my research. That doesn't mean I will give up looking for a Bible that lists names and dates for three generations of my family. Oh, no, but I will expand my search to records that might only list one or two generations as long as those records also contain photos of each person. Yep, that will do it!

4.  I Promise to weigh unknown material and see if it makes sense. If it doesn't, it will go into the Source Unknown file. If I could put the giver of the material into the Source Unknown file too, I would.

5.  I Promise - again and again to have fun with my genealogy. I'll laugh when a brick wall rears its ugly head. I'll giggle when I can't find that obituary I need. I'll clap my hands when my "cousin" tells me all of her material is true because she found it online.  Well, that is a little extreme, but I do promise to remember that genealogy, in most cases, is not a matter of life and death. It is what I do, but it will not undo me.

Ok, I am ready for 2014. Bring it on!


Published 1 January 2014, Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog,  http://wkygenealogy.blogspot.com/

No comments: