Sunday, August 23, 2009

Another Landmark Gone



The former First Christian Church, the oldest church in Henderson, was demolished yesterday. It had graced the corner of S. Green and Washington Streets since the 1850s. During the Civil War, the church was taken over by the Federal Army and after the war, it was returned to the congregation. In 1962 a new church was built farther south on Green Street with the old building later becoming Haven Pentecostal Church. Before demolition, the building had been empty for several years. This photo, taken in June 2009 of the side of the building, shows the older part of the church in the back and the newer brick portion, built about 1930, in the front. All that remains of this old landmark today is a pile of bricks and rubble.

2 comments:

Genevieve Netz said...

Oh my gosh. I think I recognize that church. If it's the empty church building I'm thinking of, I photographed it when I was in Henderson a year ago. My son got very impatient waiting for me, but I thought it was an interesting building -- rather modernistic. (The new, front part.) I didn't realize that the back part was the oldest part of the structure.

Brenda Joyce Jerome said...

This photograph was taken from the parking lot of McDonald's on the south side of Washington Street. I could never get a photo of the front because of the heavy traffic. There are several very beautiful old churches in Henderson. Watch for a photograph of another one later this week.