Thursday, June 23, 2011

Review of Webster County, Kentucky 1891

From Legislative Document No. 20:  Ninth Biennial Report from the Bureau of Agriculture, Labor and Statistics of the State of Kentucky by C.Y. Wilson, commissioner, in 1891, we get a decent view of Webster County at that time.

Webster County was formed from parts of Hopkins, Union and Henderson counties about the year 1860. It was given the name of Webster in honor of Daniel Webster. Dixon, the county seat, was given that name in honor of Gov. Archibald Dixon, of Henderson county.

Large quantities of stone-coal are found in nearly all parts of the county. A great number of small mines are worked to supply the home demand.

There are about 15 miles of railroad in Webster County. Our roads are very good for travel ... In fact, they are fair for any dirt road system.

The principal agricultural products, of which there is a surplus grown for market, are corn, wheat, hay and tobacco.

Several new roller flouring mills have lately been built and put in successful operation.

Farm laborers are plentiful in this county.  The average price paid to a laborer without family, board and lodging furnished by employer, is $12.87 per month. Average price paid the laborer, where he furnished his own board and lodging, is $17.25 per month.

The county has 40 churches, 4 parsonages, and 68 school houses.

The average assessed value of land in this county, according to the Assessor's returns for 1890, is $6.86 per acres - 197,273 acres.

Webster county has two mines of bituminous coal, employing 80 men and the total output for the year ending June 30th, 1891, was 818,412 bushels.


No comments: