Saturday, September 10, 2011

Coincidence or Serendipity?

Did you ever feel like someone is directing you without you being aware? I do - especially after what happened this week at the FGS conference in Springfield, Illinois. Let me set the scene for you.

I am claustrophobic and can't stand to be wedged in with a lot of people so when I entered a rapidly-filling classroom, I quickly looked for a seat in the back. There was a lady sitting where I wanted to be, but there was an empty chair in front of her. I pulled the chair back next to her and prepared to listen to the class. The lady next to me smiled and introduced herself and told me where she lived. I did the same. My answer brought another smile to her face and then she explained that we had corresponded on her Livingston County, Kentucky families. We chatted and then met for lunch and a longer chat a little later.

Now this may not seem strange, but you have to realize there were over 2000 people at this conference. What are the chances of two people who knew each other only through email attending the same class and sitting next to each other? Also, if I had not pulled that chair back next to her and she had not introduced herself, we would have missed an opportunity to meet.

So, thank you, Pam Smith of Chicago! I am so glad to have met you in person. To all of you Hodge family researchers, I can tell you she is a very nice lady!

No comments: