Thursday, December 4, 2008

Deed of Release of Services

Another way to emancipate an underage child is through a Release of Services as seen in Livingston County, Kentucky Deed Book EE, page 246, 21 January 1837:

"Know all men by these presents that I, David Brown Father of William Washington Brown and Jos. Newton Brown the first aged Eighteen on April next, 9th day, the second aged sixteen on 9th August next, both of my sd. sons now living with me, Do by these present and from this date henceforth, permit sd. boys to trade for themselves, own, contract and sell any property they may obtain and possess from this time henceforth, and I do hereby disclaim any right or authority I have or might have to control & govern sd. boys, or any right I may have to their service. They are free from me to act as their own men, to work for themselves without any hindrance or interference on my part. I am prompted to this as an act of justice to my sd. sons, I am unable to give them any thing for their services and likely will not be better able when they are Twenty one years old. [signed] David Brown.

"The foregoing Deed of Release from David Brown to his sons Wm. Washington Brown and Jos. Newton Brown was this day produced in my office by David Brown and acknowledged to be his act and deed. Recorded 21 January 1837." [signed] Jas. L. Dallam.

No comments: